Did you know that approximately 40 million American citizens aged 18 and above are suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)? In fact, anxiety is considered the most common type of mental illness in the United States, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA). Heart palpitations, sweating, shortness of breath – suffice to say, the symptoms of an anxiety attack are not pleasant.
As the world is becoming increasingly familiar with the potential of medical marijuana for the treatment of widespread illnesses and ailments, more and more people are turning to the cannabis plant for anxiety relief. Best of all, you don’t have to smoke it to experience the beneficial effects, nor do you have to feel “stoned” (unless you want to, of course).
What does this mean, you ask? Well, it means that you could be ditching those pharmaceutical drugs for an all-natural alternative, like medical marijuana!
Using Cannabidiol (CBD Oil) to Cure Anxiety Symptoms
A study that focused on marijuana as a cure for anxiety revealed how one of the plant’s cannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD), works just like an anxiolytic agent. Conversely, the most well-known cannabinoid, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), actually increased anxiety symptoms in both animals and humans. Accounting for around 40% of the plant’s active substances, CBD can be extracted from the plant matter and consumed in various forms, such as by dropping tinctures onto the tongue or adding cannabis oil to a morning bowl of oatmeal.
CBD oil is growing in popularity among members of the medical community as a genuine treatment option for mitigating the effects of anxiety. Initially, it gained widespread attention as a treatment for seizures, with Charlotte’s Web CBD oil hitting headlines for curing a young girl who was formerly experiencing 300 grand mal seizures weekly. Now, CBD oil is considered a “life-saving” treatment and is being used as an anxiolytic drug.
Why grow your own medical marijuana to treat anxiety?
Not only is cannabis known to ease anxiety-related symptoms but also, it could prove effective for obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Scientific findings indicate promising results that, in some cases, even surpass the potential of Doctor-administered medication. With that being said, people who are battling the relentless mental illness should be cultivating strains that contain a higher percentage of CBD and lower percentage of THC.
If you reside in a US state that allows you to legally grow marijuana plants, such as Alaska, California or Colorado, you can avoid queuing at dispensaries. Furthermore, you can reap the following perks when you grow your own bud:
- Save Money – Although growing marijuana for anxiety will require an initial investment, the long-term savings will add up when compared to paying per gram or ounce at a local dispensary.
- Learn to Harvest – From selecting seeds to trimming your plants, there is much to be discovered when you cultivate your own cannabis. As you learn how to harvest, you can even start experimenting with cross-breeding techniques.
- Complete Convenience – No more queuing at dispensaries to purchase a gram of your preferred strain. Growing your own medical marijuana ensures a quality homegrown product right at your fingertips.
Note: For Canadian consumers, it is possible to register and produce your own cannabis for medical purposes, if you meet the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) guidelines.
Selecting Marijuana Strains for Anxiety Relief
Should you be someone who experiences an uphill battle with anxiety or perhaps know someone who does, consider investing in a quality grow kit. A basic kit will contain the essentials, such as a tent, lamp, fan and carbon filter. Once you become the proud owner of a grow kit, you can take advantage of an all-in-one solution that aids you in developing an oasis for cannabis cultivation.
The following five anxiety-related marijuana strains can be grown from the comfort of your home (depending on which state you reside in) and could have a positive impact on your life:
- CBD OG Kush – Although this hybrid variety has an equal CBD to THC ratio of 1:1, the strain is highly favored among anxiety sufferers. Introduced to the world by a man named Charles Scott from the Reeferman Seed Company, CBD OG Kush can also be used to reduce stress, depression and attention deficit disorder (ADD). Some tests have revealed a 21% CBD content for this anxiety-relieving marijuana strain, which produces solid nuggets that provide the user with a floaty feeling.
- CBD Critical Cure – An indica-dominant strain that is widely used by medical and recreational marijuana consumers, CBD Critical Cure contains approximately 8% CBD and 5% THC. Expect a slightly earthy flavor from this anxiety-related strain, but don’t expect the psychoactive effects to be too intense. Instead, you can anticipate a feeling of relaxation, minus the drowsiness.
- CBD MediHaze – This unique strain combines the genetics of various other CBD-rich strains, including Neville’s Haze and Super Silver Haze. It is a 80/20 sativa-dominant strain that has been proven to relieve the symptoms of anxiety, pain and inflammation. Some seeds contain double the amount of CBD and the fragrant strain will leave you feeling uplifted.
- Cannatonic – Medical marijuana users are choosing the Cannatonic strain to ease anxiety, muscle spasms, pain and migraines. It has a fairly balanced CBD to THC ratio. However, the CBD content is always higher, allowing the user to consume this type of cannabis and experience an almighty release of built-up tension. An award-winning strain, Cannatonic’s herbal citrus flavor is similar to the taste of OG Kush – it’s well-known grandparent strain.
- Harlequin – Feel lifted without getting completely baked by enjoying the taste of Harlequin. Boasting an impressive CBD to THC ratio of 5:8, this 75% sativa-dominant strain is considered to be one of the rarest on the planet! You will feel clear-minded and focused after using Harlequin, which merges the genetics of Swiss landrace and Colombian Gold.
Are you unable to grow your own medical marijuana based on the law?
Not to worry if you are residing in an area that has not yet legalized marijuana cultivation. Obtaining a medical marijuana card is fairly straightforward and will enable you to step foot inside any local dispensary to buy anxiety-relieving strains. There’s an added benefit of procuring your pot this way – you can ask the ‘budtender’ any questions that might be on your mind!
Find out more about accessing medical marijuana in Canada here.