Dry, stale weed sucks- let’s all face it. You’ve probably wondered at some point how to best preserve your herb, unless you just came onto the cannabis scene and are used to buying perfectly manicured and cultivated cannabis from your local dispensary or from a caregiver.
Whether it was that way when you purchased it, or if the became that way after time, it sucks when your stash is as dry as ash.
While I don’t have any tips for how to get your hookup to quit selling shitty weed, I do have a few tips on how to preserve your stash’s freshness for months on end so that when you decide to blaze, it will be a satisfying sesh all the way.
Factors That Can Ruin Your Stash
Three main factors play a crucial role in the health and quality of your weed. Luckily, with a little knowledge and a few handy items, you can preserve your buds against all three.
- Humidity– Humidity can wreak havoc on your weed. If humidity is too low, it can cause your bud to become brittle and dry. On the opposite hand, if the humidity is too high, it can cause your bud to produce mold which can well, ruin your stash.
- Light – Light is another major factor when it comes to preserving and storing weed. While light is needed for growing, vegetation, and curing, it is not recommended when storing. It is always best to store your pot in a dark place.
- Air – Air dries plants. This is a significant factor when storing cannabis. If your stash is exposed to air, it will continue to cure and dry which could result in your stash being as dry as ash.
How to Preserve Your Stash
To properly store your weed, you will need to address the three factors listed above to ensure that your cannabis stays fresh while in storage, whether it is for days, weeks, or months on end.
- Airtight Containers: Mason jars are your best friend! When you need to store your stash for long periods of time, storing your stash in a mason jar is a favorite of many cannabis consumers. Any airtight glass container, however, will be efficient.
- Humidity Packs: These bad boys are great to have on hand, especially if you need to preserve a lot of herb for long periods of time. Humidity packs like the ones offered by Boveda will help to keep the humidity in your storage container at an optimal level for months.
- UV Protection: As you learned above, light is not a friend of cured, dried cannabis. For this reason, when storing cannabis, it is essential to protect your stash from UV and other types of lighting. This is why it is always recommended to store your weed in a cool dry space.
Tips to Remember
- Don’t use the refrigerator to store your weed.
- Never store cannabis that hasn’t been properly dried and cured for at least four weeks before storage.
- Buds should have a humidity level between 55-62% when going into storage.
- It’s recommended to store cannabis in glass airtight containers. It is highly recommended to avoid plastic or metal containers.
- It’s best to store cannabis between 40-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do you have some tips and tricks for newbies looking to preserve their herb for long periods of time? If so, drop us a line in the comments below!